for your car: Looks do matter!
purchasing a new car, you are more interested in taking care of its
engine and accessories. In this process, you might tend to forget
that the outer look of your car is equally important. Even before
one looks under the hood, it is the outer coating and shine of your
car that creates an impression.
Here are a few tips on how to look after your vehicle's
appearance and gloss :
Do not wash your car all the seven days of the week.
* Wash your car with a gentle non-abrasive cleaner. Always use a
mild car shampoo; never use a detergent soap.
* Rinse away all loose dirt with plenty of water, then pour on the
soapy solution. Clean the surface gently with a wet sponge. Avoid
rubbing the surface vigorously. Rinse the sponge frequently to avoid
scratching the paint with dust particles trapped in the sponge.
* Wash the car thoroughly with clean, lukewarm water to remove all
traces of dirt and soap. Dry it with a clean cloth.
* If the car is being washed in direct sunlight on a warm day, it
should be washed and dried panel by panel.
* When using a commercial tag or bug remover, read the instruction
carefully. Then try it out on a small, unnoticeable area at first.
* If you opt for a commercial car wash, use one that comes with
a soft scrub system.
* If your car has a polyurethane-based or 2K ( as it is called )
paint, you need to polish it only once in six months. For polishing
it, use a mild cleaning wax, not an abrasive. Polish gently using
mechanical foam pads or even your hands.
Do's and Don'ts
use a wet cloth for wiping your car. Never wipe your car with a
dry cloth or duster.
* Wax your car immediately after it has been washed and dried, to
avoid sealing in the dust and dirt.
* Use a car cover made of a natural,' breathing ' material like
cotton. Do not use plastic covers in humid conditions, since these
materials trap moisture and cause fungus.
* Always use soft water to wash you car. Do not use hard water as
it leaves a film on the surface.
* Try to park your car in the shade or in a covered space. Do not
park in the hot sun for a long time, as the heat causes the paint
* Get blemishes, scratches or chips touched up quickly with the
right colour and type of paint. Do not leave chipped paint unattended
as the exposed areas can rust through contact with air or water.
By : Sharmistha Chakraborty